Advanced Gong Fu Sports Medicine is divided into three modules that build on the basic class Gong Fu Sports Medicine: Treatment of Injuries with Chinese Medicine. These three advanced modules further hone the practitioner’s ability to treat injuries and orthopedic conditions with traditional Chinese medicine. These three modules are combined together to offer you 8 CUE/ PDS/ CPD/
Module 1: Treating Blood Stasis and Dead Blood (2 CEU / PDA / CPD)
This in-depth course focuses on the treatment of blood stasis and dead blood, from the perspective of trauma, and sports injuries. The focus is on practical usage of herbal formulas that treat blood stasis and dead blood, including formula differentiation and modifications according to the clinical presentation. The inter-relationship of cold damage, phlegm and dead blood is discussed form the standpoint of clinical application. The architecture of blood stasis formulas for trauma ware also examined in detail, so that students can gain a deeper understanding of treating blood stasis and dead blood.
Module 2: Treating Fractures (2 CEU / PDA / CPD)
Although the treatment of fracture is similar to the treatment of soft-tissue injuries, the stages of healing are slightly different and there a specific formula that are more appropriate for healing fractures and promoting bone knitting. In this class the theory and practice of treating fractures is discussed in detail and clinically tested herbal formulas and treatment protocols are presented. You will learn to effectively treat fractures using a multi-modality approach. The emphasis of this class is on the acquisition of clinical skills that can immediately be put into practice.
Module 3 Treating Bi Syndrome (4 CEU / PDA / CPD)
This class provides the student with a complete picture of treating Bi (Obstruction) Syndrome with herbal formulae, acupuncture and moxibustion, and lifestyle changes and diet. The emphasis on the course is on practical application and integration of these therapies. Herbal formulas for Bi Syndrome are covered in detail, starting with general formulas and proceeding to more specific formulas and formulas form the Shang Han Lun. Much emphasis is placed on understanding the architecture of the formulas and modifications and formula combinations. Liniments, poultices and plasters (Gao) and Soaks are also discussed as well as the relative effectiveness of modern supplements like Glucosamine Sulphate and Fish Oil.
Goals and Objectives:
- Advanced Gong Fu Sports Medicine: Treating Bi Syndrome (4 CEU / PDA / CPD)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to identify the five basic kinds of Bi Syndrome and their various manifestations.
- Students will understand what treatments are appropriate for the different kinds of Bi syndrome.
- Students will be able modify treatments according to the patient and situation.
- Students will understand how to advise patients on lifestyle changes and diet as they relate to Bi Syndrome
- Advanced Gong Fu Sports Medicine: Treatment of Fractures (2 CEU / PDA / CPD)
- Students will understand the differences in the theory and practice of treating fractures in traditional Eastern and modern Western medicine.
- Students will be able to list and detail the Four Stages of fracture healing.
- Students will be able to identify the treatment principles and the appropriate therapies and herbal formulas used in the different stages of fracture healing.
- Students will learn what lifestyle changes (diet, exercise etc.) need to be made to support fracture healing.
- Advanced Gong Fu Sports Medicine: Treating Blood Stasis and Dead Blood (2 CEU / PDA / CPD)
- Students will be able to distinguish between blood stasis and dead blood and effectively apply the principles of treating blood stasis and dead blood.
- Students will be able to identify and utilize the key formulas for blood stasis due to injury.
- Students will be able to identify the different categories of medicinals used to treat dead blood and effectively employ them to modify herbal formulae.
- Student will gain an understanding of the role of Cold Damage in the formation of dead blood and how to effectively employ the key Shang Han Lun formulae in the treatment of blood stasis and dead blood.