We will talk about both the positive and harmful impact of stress on a woman’s body and soul by observing the cycles of reacting and recovering.
The sympathetic (fight/ flight/ freeze) and para-sympathetic systems (rest & digest) and their relationship with the endocrine system have a role in women’s cycles of menstruation, pregnancy and birth.
There is a delicate juggling act performed by women; the balance between estrogen, progesterone, endorphins, oxytocin (aka “the love hormone) and prolactin-adrenaline-cortisol (the stress hormones) through both bio-medical and oriental medicine concepts.It is suggested that the Shao Yang (Gallbladder + Triple Warmer) in collaboration with the Kidneys and Liver are the foundation for the balancing agents of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) and the Hormonal functions.
We will see how the same sets of hormones that regulate childbirth are responsible for the bonding that occurs after birth. In fact, these are the hormones that regulate a woman’s cycle of fertility.Wereflect on a woman’s rhythm; the “Groove,” or the lack of it, in women’s menstruation cycles, the three trimesters of pregnancy, the birth itself, and the precious time of mother-baby meeting and bonding after birth, and throughout their lives.
While looking at both the mother and the baby we realize the importance of the in-utero life to a baby’s health and wellbeing. There are bothpositive and harmful impact of stress on a woman’s body and soul by observing the cycles of reacting and recovering.
When unbalanced, these cycles are themselves stressors, but when balanced, they form the most beautiful connection between the woman and her world, the mother and her baby.
Goals & Objectives
- Understanding the ANS and its perspective in Oriental Medicine.
- Understanding the connection between the ANS and the hormonal system in a woman’s reproductive life.
- Looking at the in-utero life from an oriental and modern psychological perspective
- Learning some simple yet highly effective Japanese-style shallowneedling and moxibustion techniques to help rebalance the ANS, thus re-providing women a way to sail safely and calmly through the currents of her cycles of menstruation, pregnancy, birth and post-partum
- My clinical emphasis will be on stress management, morning sickness and hyperemesis gravidarum, Malpresentation or Malposition of the fetus and pretension and treatment of post labor traumatic stress disorder
- The ANS, sympathetic and para-sympathetic system; the roles of estrogen, progesterone, oxytocin and prolactin in menstruation, birth and post-partum
- The in-utero life of the baby
- The Kidney-Water representing the Adrenals and the basis of the endocrine system
- The Shao-yang representing the ANS balancing agent
- Diagnosis skills for ANS and adrenal disharmonies
- Adrenal exhaustion treatment
- Rebalancing the ANS - sympathetic dominance diagnosis and treatment. Sympathetic nervous system deficiency diagnosis and treatment
- Putting it all in the context of pregnancy and birth
- Summary, Conclusions, Q&A