Many of us live with the effects of trauma and loss without any conscious awareness of cause. In fact, a number of the psychological and psychosomatic symptoms we see in clinical practice are the result of primary and secondary trauma. We could call trauma the world's most widespread "hidden pathogen." The ancient Chinese recognized it over 2,000 years ago in the form of shen disturbances and possession states.
In this class, practitioners will learn about trauma and its effects on the body, mind and spirit. We will look at how the organism's response to overwhelming life experiences has a positive, life-preserving effect, yet over time can become debilitating and a cause of disease in itself. Turning to the wisdom of the Taoist system of wushen or the Five Spirits, we will explore simple, effective strategies that can initiate processes of healing and transformation.
- What is emotional and psychological trauma? Introduction to concept of trauma from Western psychological and Traditional Chinese Medical perspective. Review of key historical and theoretical issues as well as overlaps and differences between eastern and western points of view and attitudes. Specific relevance of trauma and PTSD to acupuncture practice. Review of the specific concerns and issues that arise for acupuncturists and practitioners of body-oriented treatment modalities. Why touch and body contact is both an advantage and a challenge.
- Etiology and risk factors. Signs and symptoms. How to recognize trauma and PTSD in the acupuncture treatment room.
- Safety and ethics. Review of safety issues and scope of practice. Recognizing red flags and when and how to refer to other health care providers.
- Introduction to the Five Spirits. An overview of wushen as a gateway to Taoist psychology and deep work with healing trauma.
- How the five shen respond to traumatic experience. A review of the Five Spirits and the specific symptoms that arise in response to trauma.
- Tools and Spirit points.
- Using flower essences and essential oils.
- Trauma as a Spirit issue. Alchemical values and attitudes.
Tools for the practitioner working on the spirit level. The inner and outer practices necessary for positive outcome.
Lorie Eve Dechar's intuitive work as an alchemical healer, mentor and teacher is supported by a strong foundation of theoretical understanding and clinical experience, including twenty-six years of Chinese medical practice, twelve years as a senior faculty member at the Tri-State College of Acupuncture in New York City as well as years of teaching at institutes and retreat centers throughout the United States, Canada and the U.K. Lorie is the author of Five Spirits: Alchemical Acupuncture for Psychological and Spiritual Healing. She holds a Master's Degree in Acupuncture from the Traditional Acupuncture Institute in Columbia, MD, 1985. Lorie has trained in Jungian and Gestalt psychotherapy, is a certified Focusing-oriented psychotherapist, and has become recognized as a modern interpreter of classical Taoist practice. www.fivespirits.com and www.anewpossibility.com
Frequently Bought Together
Loved Laurie ! Can\'t wait to take another one of her seminars . Thank You Pro-D
I loved this course! Lorie Dechar is a wonderful and fascinating teacher. I look forward to learning more from her in the future. Her years of experience and knowledge of trauma are vast.
What a wonderful lecture! Thank you Lori for your 30+ years of experience and wisdom with trauma. I\'m looking forward to immediately adding all of this information into my own personal and professional practice. I hope to hear more of Lorie\'s lectures on Pro-D soon! ~ Jana
What an excellent class! I truly felt like i was learning from someone who has put in the work and research and really loves working with trauma. Much Thanks! ~ Stephanie
Would have gladly sat through an additional four hours of this material but this course gave me useful, actionable information as well as sparking interest in further exploration. ~ Dia
Absolutely fantastic!!!!! Presented information I have absolutely been seeking. Perfectly done, perfectly paced, super organized and clear flow - just what I love and respect in a presenter! Please have her do more! I love the description of the spirit as well as the five spirits! And lastly, such a sweet and authentic practitioner! ~ Amy
This is a great course! It has piqued my interest to explore more of Lorie\'s teachings. I have tools to utilize in practice right away. It gave me insights about daily practice that will make me a better practitioner. ~ Cynthia
I loved this course and it was perfect timing for what I was craving to offer to my patients. I think Lorie Dechar did an excellent job presenting the material and also conveying the need for practitioners to be educated and trained in dealing with trauma in our practices.
Lorie\'s information was easily accessible, even for someone who isn\'t very familiar with Five Element acupuncture treatments. I came away with protocols I could apply the next day in clinic, as well as a strong curiosity to learn more about 5E theory and clinical applications. ~ Michelle
This was a really excellent course, I feel that I got more than my money\'s worth. Lorie\'s descriptions of each section of the material were thorough, nuanced and left me with an understanding of the subject that brings so many elements of my practice (and personal) experience together in a profound way. I look forward to engaging with some of the oils and flower essences in particular both personally and with clients. ~ Cristina
- 1 of 3
- next ›